The artist lived on the other side of Florence, so Brunella drove us over. I sat in the backseat, and it turns out in Florence there's no law that requires backseat sitters to wear a seatbelt, so there wasn't one. That was different. Also kinda funny was that Brunella made a joke about her car being old and big, but it was really just an average USA car... I wonder what she would say about the minivan.
We got to the artist's apartment at around 10 or so. He lives in a non-touristy part of Florence on the fourth floor of the building. We all squeezed into a teeny little elevator to get to the right apartment, and the artist welcomed us in, and we sat in the living room. The artist offered us water and pineapple juice to drink, and then Brunella and the guy commenced to discuss the artist guy's art. All in Italian. For about 2 hours. I understood maybe 50% of it, a lot from context.
The guy's art was different: he drew and painted landscapes on top of sewing patterns. He went through each piece with Brunella, and they discussed the inspiration and merits of each individual work. All I can say is that the fine art world is very strange, and I don't get it.
Following that visit, we walked over to the nearby children's bookstore. Brunella had some sort of meeting with the people that worked there, so I was left with Samuele and the books. Samuele walked off into his own corner, so I just went ahead and tried reading the books. I could actually understand the Italian fairly well. I think reading Italian is the easiest for me, compared to speaking or listening.
![]() |
| Italian Harry Potter. Nice cover! |
![]() |
| John Green is universal. |
Drawing class began at 1:15. We walked to the Museo dell'Opera del Duomo, which is a museum next to the Duomo and most of the original Duomo sculptures and other associated art. We took over the bench in front of Michelangelo's Florence Pieta (aka The Deposition) and just drew the sculpture for 3 hours. It was fun.
![]() |
| Jesus is having a hard time again. |
Our tickets for the museum were also good the Baptistery next to the Duomo, so I went ahead and visited there as well. The inside is just a single room, but it has a massive mosaic across the ceiling that is really amazing in person.
![]() |
| This is the least blurry picture I took. |
And now I'm back at the apartment, where I think I'll start soaking some beans and then call it a night.




No comments:
Post a Comment