Monday, September 19, 2016

In Which I Run Around the City Searching for Tracing Paper

I was woken up this morning by the whine of a mosquito in my ear, a very disconcerting sound to hear first thing in the morning. I got out of bed quickly after that and had cheerios for breakfast. At 11am I walked out to the Palazzo Vecchio to sit outside and do some drawing homework, and then made a caprese sandwich at 12. At that point, USC Tiffany walked in. We had agreed the night before that she would buy a roll of tracing paper for drawing class and we would split the cost. However, when asked about it, she said it had been too expensive, and she was hungry, so she didn't buy it. I asked her what we were going to use in class today, then, and she said we could just go back to the art store before class. I informed her that the art store closed at 12:30, and she gave me a look that meant she did not know this information. Thus it was up to me to find another, open, art store and acquire tracing paper for both of us. Class started at 1:15, so I had about 45 minutes to find an art store and buy the paper.

I used the SACI handbook as a guide to find art stores, and that turned out to be a bad idea because the art store hasn't been updated in who knows how long, and I ran to two different art stores that turned out to not exist anymore. The third store I tried did exist, and someone else from my class was also there buying tracing paper, so it was nice I wasn't the only one having a last-minute sort of day.

I got the paper and made it to class exactly on time, so all was well in the end. Class went over fine, and from there I walked to the Oblate library to see if I could get a library card, which I couldn't because I needed my passport, but I got the form to fill out and bring back. I also stopped at Conad and restocked my milk supply, along with getting some dry beans (please advise on how to make soup) and peanut butter. Then back to the apartment, where I made a tuna sandwich (good tuna, by the way-- I added celery, onion, and a little pepper) and had some chocolate chip biscotti with peanut butter on top for dessert (my roommates think it's strange I put the peanut butter in the fridge... I should make a list of these things). I think today is also clean-the-kitchen day, so that's next on my list of things to do. I also got an email back from the chabad rabbi, so it looks like there are two chabads in this city. I guess I'll either go to a Shabbat dinner or Rosh Hashanah services.
Food of the gods!

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Needed the paper to trace a drawing and transfer it to another paper. Not too exciting.

      Delete
  2. For bean stuff: soak the beans overnight. After soaking, soup tends to take 2-3 hours. (Split peas are quicker at maybe 2 hours.) Rinse the beans a couple times. Then chop up whatever veggies your heart desires and find yourself a can of stewed tomatoes (or a lot of fresh ones). Add all the ingredients together with enough water to keep things from burning but not enough to boil over the edge of the pot. Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer and add lid to your pot. If you don't have a lid, use a ceramic/glass plate or aluminum foil (but be careful because it tends to get hot). Stir your soup every half hour or so to make sure everything gets cooked. Your soup is ready when the veggies are cooked through and the beans are a bit mushy.

    It's not exactly the Mommy way of making soup, but it's the "use up the leftovers on a college diet" Leah way. Buen provecho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or, if not in a soupy mood, soak the beans overnight, then put in a pot with a lot of onions and garlic. Up to you if you want to add carrots and celery, but they're good aromatics. Can add in chunks then remove at the end. Use salt and pepper. Cook in water for a while and enjoy!

      Delete
    2. Or, if not in a soupy mood, soak the beans overnight, then put in a pot with a lot of onions and garlic. Up to you if you want to add carrots and celery, but they're good aromatics. Can add in chunks then remove at the end. Use salt and pepper. Cook in water for a while and enjoy!

      Delete
  3. Also, this made me happy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-6BmxSRjTk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your roommates leave their peanut butter out? Weird.

    ReplyDelete