Following yesterday's recuperation session in the afternoon, all of the USC people and I walked back to SACI for a students/professors mixer thing. Dinner was served, consisting of catered ravioli, pasta, and lasgna-looking stuff, and also a glorious supply of water and iced tea. I hadn't taken a nap, so I was really tired, but I talked to a couple of other students I didn't know. The 3D Animation professor stopped by to introduce herself-- she's a USC graduate who I guess got a free trip to Italy in exchange for teaching our class. Seems pretty nice.
At around 8pm the USC folks and I left the party (so far we've just been travelling in a pack) and walked to the nearby Conad, which is an Italian supermarket, maybe the Italian equivalent of a very run-down, small Vons. I got some toiletries, cereal, and a funny-looking bottle of milk, and when I went to the cash register, the cashier seemed oddly familiar to me. I realized that I recognized her from one of Yoojin's (the USC student who went to SACI last year and gave me that stuff to bring) Facebook photos of a friend she made. So I asked the cashier if she knew Yoojin, and she gave me this very confused look, and then asked one of the other cashiers something, and then I realized that the reason Yoojin had probably become friends with this cashier is because they both spoke Korean, the cashier maybe only Korean and some Italian. Anyways, once the cashier figured out what I was trying to say, she acknowledge that she did indeed know Yoojin, and she became very friendly.
From there I went to the 99 Cent store, which is the Italian equivalent of a run-down, small American 99 Cents Store. When they say 99 cents here, they
mean 99 cents worth of quality. But still, I got some silverware, a kind of wonky bowl that I sort of regret buying because on closer inspection it's got a thick layer of dust on the bottom that's sort of hard to get off. There were items strewn out along the floor, and I accidentally kicked a stack of something and got scolded by an employee.
Finally we all went back to the apartment, and I got ready for bed and went to sleep at around 10:30. I then woke up at 2am and tossed and turned for about 2 hours before I texted Mommy, and then went back to bed and tossed and turned until 7am. I don't think I actually slept at all past 2, and that wasn't so great because this morning I got up and left to go on a walking tour around Florence led by the SACI art history professor, who's an older woman who walks very quickly and doesn't seem to get tired.
 |
| Italian honey nut cheerios for breakfast. From the box I learned that arachidi does not mean spiders, but peanuts. |
 |
| The friendly lion on the back of the cheerios box reminds us not to spend too much time watching the TV or computer. |
For the tour we all got a headset thing that hangs around your neck and an earpiece, so that we could hear the tour guide even when walking a few feet behind her. The art history professor really seemed to know her stuff; she had all the dates of all the buildings memorized, along with all the museum hours. She led us to all the major art landmarks and talked about them for a bit, making a long, circuitous path through the city. The whole city is squeezed together, so most of the museums, sculptures, and landmarks are right next to each other. The Palazzo Vecchio, which has the David statue replica, the Neptune statue, and a guy riding a giant golden turtle, is a street down from my apartment! It was very very hot and sunny, and I realized that the giant water bottle I had bought from the 99 Cent Store was actually sparkling water, which is still water but lacks the refreshing nature of good, ol' American still water. This sparkling stuff is really popular here, and it seems like in Europe in general. I don't get it.
 |
| All set for the tour! |
 |
| Mega water bottle!! (bananas for scale) |
For the tour I wore the money belt, and it did make things easier because I didn't have to worry about anything valuable getting stolen from my backpack, beyond my very precious water bottle. My left shoulder is sore from carrying around the purse yesterday, so the backpack felt like the better option.
The USC folk and I had to leave the tour right before the end because we had to get back to the apartment for a housing meeting. A woman came over and explained how to use the washing machine, oven, trash cans, and circuit breakers. The trash cans here are weird-looking. I'll try to get a picture later.
From the apartment, we walked back to SACI. This was around 1pm, and I was hungry, so I bought a panino from a snack bar down the block from the apartment. It was quite yummy. I also stopped by the farmacia for some overpriced saline. No hydrogen peroxide solution, and the guy behind the counter just seemed confused when I asked him for it. Then again, I didn't really know how to say hydrogen peroxide in Italian, so maybe that had something to do with it.
 |
| Tomato and basil panino. They have a selection behind a counter and then toast the sandwich you want. |
At SACI a professor gave a lecture about politics and culture in Italy. The lecture was fairly basic, and I knew most of it from reading the Italy Wikipedia page. On both sides of me I could see my USC friends nodding off, and I was tempted to do so as well, but I managed to stay awake. After the lecture I had to pay for a permit to stay in Italy, 78 euros, and a deposit to go on SACI field trips, 50 euros. To make these transactions I had to visit the nearby ATM, and that was simple to use.
And then back to the Conad, where I bought some pasta and tomato sauce for dinner and a tupperware to store and eat from. Maybe I can make the pasta with the tupperware in the microwave? I checked out the Conad produce, but it all looked old (moldy), so despite a craving for a nectarine I decided not to buy any of the fruit or veggies. I still have to find a good place to produce, and SACI just keeps recommending Conad. It's hard to believe that's the best place out there for a nectarine.
 |
| Taking a selfie with one side of the street... |
 |
| ...and the other side of the street! |
USC friends then went and visited the Asian/Chinese grocery stores, and I hung around and took a few pictures. Then back to the 99 Cent Store, where I searched for the few things that no store in Italy so far has: cheap sunscreen, pots and pans, contact lens solution, and a disposable water bottle. Nada. Niente, I don't get it.
 |
| Another thing: they don't kid around with Magnums here. |
 |
| Bejewled Magnums on display. And you thought the double chocolate Magnums were rich! |
 |
| Tourists can buy Italian Magnums in the Magnums store. |
Back on the street again, and then back to the apartment, where I put down all my stuff and rested my weary, pained feet. It's very tempting to go to sleep right now (5:50pm), but I will resist. Plans for the next few hours are to figure out how to make pasta sans pot and possibly go out for gelato for dessert because it's just down the block.
 |
| The pasta aisle. Looks like home! |
That is one seriously good looking sandwich. As for pasta, put it in a good bowl, add water, and nuke it until it looks done. Maybe buy a cheap strainer while there as I bet you'll be eating a lot of pasta. Also, guess who just got a cool postcard???
ReplyDeleteDid you just get a cool postcard? Also, the problem is finding a good bowl.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteUse the tupperware lid to strain your microwaved pasta- it's best to use a ceramic or glass container so you don't have to worry about unintentional melty plastic sauce. Then you can eat your pasta in the same bowl you cooked it in. :) The USC dining hall must have spoiled you from learning the ways of the "microwave diet" practiced by many a first year college student.
ReplyDeleteHere's a website to help:
http://www.tablespoon.com/posts/how-to-make-pasta-in-the-microwave/0812d5fe-4345-432b-87bd-c83589a219d8
I'm definitely spoiled by dining hall and Trader Joe's food. Now I just need to find a good bowl.
Delete