Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Back to Florence

We woke up at 5:30 today and left Rome at 6, walking to Roma Termini to catch the train to Florence. The walk over was fine, and we got to the station about half an hour earlier than necessary. We spent the time buying a capuccionos at McDonald's (surprisingly okay) and eating ricotta cake for breakfast. At around 7:15 we boarded the train. It was a fancy new bullet train, and that made the ride very very nice. Coming in to Rome on a regular train for me took 3 and a half hours; going in to Florence took only an hour and a half. The seats were also comfy, and we all got a free orange juice and cookies.
Statue of the prior pope outside the Rome train station. Daddy thought it was funny, but I guess it depends on how you want to take it.

McDonald's coffee.

Italians like Mario maybe?

Our bullet train.

The train stopped in Florence at 9, and we walked to my apartment to drop off luggage because the Airbnb wasn't ready for us yet. Mommy and Daddy poked around, and then Daddy decided he needed a nap (it was loud outside last night). Mommy and I weren't tired (yet), so we left Daddy at the apartment and walked around Florence, around the Ponte Vecchio and then north to find a clothing store. Today is All Saints Day so a lot of places were closed. We did stop in Conad though and buy breakfast for tomorrow.
Airbnb kitchen.

Another Airbnb view.

Mommy insisted on taking pictures of me all around Florence. Here's the Ponre Vecchio behind me.

Interior of the Palazzo Strozzi.

Lots and lots of Lindors in the Lindt store.

Duomo.

At around 12 we walked back to the apartment. Daddy was awake by then. We made pasta and had tomatoes and cheese and bread for lunch. The Airbnb was ready at around 1, so we walked over there. It's located across the Arno river at the base of the San Miniato hill. Inside is very nice, much cleaner and prettier than the place we stayed at Rome. There's a garden outside where Mommy hung up some washed clothes to dry, and I get a real bed here!
Lunch time!

Really clean apartment I've got.

The lack of sleep for me kicked in at around 2, so I went ahead and took a nap while Mommy and Daddy walked around the city without me. I woke up at 6 with ice cold feet when the parents got back. We contemplated what to do next, and we ended up walking to a restaurant literally down the block where we got a pizza and a salad. Both items were delicious, and I think I'll go back later with some friends.
I gave Daddy the selfie stick I got at the Eurochocolate festival a few weeks ago.

I wasn't here for these pictures because I was napping. I may have saved my dignity a little.

Now getting the hang of the selfie stick.

Ponte Vecchio.


The city walls. Our apartment is near here.

We then walked to Conad, a different one this time, and stocked up on prunes, olives, and other miscellaneous items that looked good. Now we're back at the apartment, and we're thinking of making some hot chocolate for dessert. I also don't think we've had enough ricotta cake yet.

1 comment: