No sleeping in today! Not really sure what time Mommy got up, but I got up at around 7. It had been thunder storming during the night, so we all got varying levels of sleep. Breakfast was coffee yogurt, and at 7:45 or so we left to walk to the Gallery dell' Accademia museum. Today was a free national museum day, which was good because I think they definitely charge too much for the Accademia museum.
When we got to the Accademia, a line had started to form, but we were fairly close to the front because we had arrived early enough. We waited for about 15 minutes before the museum opened, and then we filed in with the first wave of visitors.
The main thing in the Accademia is Michelangelo's David statue, so we made a beeline for that first. We got in some pictures of it before a major crowd formed, stared at it for a while, and that was that really. The rest of the museum was a lot of Jesus paintings and a couple rooms that contained some cool looking old instruments. The museum is a little overrated, with the main attraction really just being the David.
 |
| There he is! |
 |
| Daddy also gets a picture. |
 |
| Detail on the hand. |
 |
| Mommy likes censoring the statues. |
 |
| Another Michelangelo Pieta. |
 |
| Oy my keppelah! |
 |
| Michelangelo's Prisoners. |
 |
| Lots of marble heads. |
 |
| Fancy string instruments. |
 |
| That's an expensive violin! |
 |
| Hmmm... some violin there. |
 |
| Weird clarinets and things. |
 |
| Weird trombones and things. |
 |
| This is called a hurdy gurdy. I wonder what it sounds like. |
 |
| I told Mommy that was a funny looking clarinet. It's not a clarinet. It's a piano. |
From there we walked to the Bargello, another free museum today. I had been there last month for the last free day, but I enjoyed looking around there again.
 |
| Outside the Bargello Museum. |
 |
| Inside the Bargello Museum. |
 |
| Lots and lots of sculptures here. |
 |
| Heehee. |
 |
| Bottom of the Mercury statue. |
 |
| Michelangelo's Bacchus. |
 |
| More statue censoring. |
 |
| Bust of Michelangelo. |
 |
| 'Nother Bacchus. |
 |
| Little Moses model. |
 |
| Capucci! Little falcon hoods I thought were cute. |
 |
| Bird statues. |
 |
| Donatello's David. |
 |
| Ghiberti and Brunelleschi's competition door panels. |
 |
| Nice lion. |
We left the Bargello at around 1. Lunch time! We walked to a nearby restaurant called ZaZa, where we got a selection of vegetable soups, pesto pasta, and a pizza. Food was good. Daddy's conversation with the waiter while ordering the pizza was funny:
Daddy: Does the pizza have eggplant?
Waiter: Yes, pizza has eggplant, tomato, mozzarella, olive.
Daddy: Can you put the eggplant on only one side?
Waiter: Yes, pizza has eggplant.
Daddy: No, only put the eggplant on one side of the pizza.
Waiter: Pizza is vegetarian, has eggplant.
Daddy: No, look, here's the pizza (makes circular pizza motion with hands) and eggplant only on half (makes cutting motion).
Waiter: Yes, we can do eggplant on pizza.
Mommy: You can just pick the eggplant off.
Daddy: Ok, we'll get the pizza.
Waiter: Ok, pizza is vegetarian, yes.
Or something like that.
 |
| Waiting for the bill to come. |
 |
| The logo for this restaurant is very strange. |
After lunch we were very full. After a quick visit to the Central Market, Daddy got really tired, so we walked through the rain to my apartment. Daddy took a nap, and Mommy and I walked to the nearby Piazza Signoria to sit and people watch. I did some drawing as well.
 |
| Cooking class in progress at the Central Market. |
 |
| Inside the Palazzo Vecchio. We didn't actually go into the museum though. |
 |
| In front of the David in the Piazza Signoria. |
 |
| View from our sitting spot. |
 |
| Another view of our sitting spot. |
At around 5 we walked back to my apartment. Daddy was awake by then. I made some coffee for him, and we discussed what to do for dinner adn then called Leah and talked to her for a bit. Before we left my apartment, Daddy accidentally knocked my sole mug off my nightstand, and now I need a new cup. RIP blue mug. You will be missed.
Another trip to Conad after that, and then to the Airnb apartment for dinner, which consisted of some leftover pizza from yesterday, Conad minestrone soup, and bread with tomatoes and cheese. Dessert was milk and panforte and a kind of ehh croissant.
Right now Mommy is reading an Italian phrasebook, and we are hearing "fagioli!" and "non capisco!" coming from the other room. Daddy is looking up Venice stuff, and I think I'm now going to tackle that Bologna blog I haven't typed up yet.
Pictures have been added to the past couple entries, from Bologna forwards.
No comments:
Post a Comment